Boucaut School 1897-1931
You may download the above sign graphic as a PDF - click here for PDF version
Below are all the text panels and images featured on the above sign
To meet the educational needs of children living in the south western part of the Hundred of Boucaut and the north of the Hundred of Everard, a school known as Hundred of Boucaut was opened in the last quarter of 1897.
Measuring 15 feet by 8 feet the pug and pine building was located on Section 11, Hundred of Boucaut.
This school had its highest attendance in 1899 of 22.2 students.
By 1911 the original building on Section 11 was in need of major repair. Local opinion generally preferred erecting a new building to renovating the old one.
The Education Department was unwilling to erect a new building, but agreed to rent one built by the community.
Consideration was given to positioning the school so that the largest number of children could attend.
In 1913, a stone building was erected on this site, on the north boundary of Section 14, Hundred of Boucaut, which was then owned by Mr James Thomas.
Donations toward the cost of the building were received, the donors being considered owners of the building and entitled to the rent paid by the Education Department pro rata.
The school building was erected by Mr Kleeman of Brinkworth at a cost of £114. Voluntary labour carted the stone, sand and lime, burned and delivered from local kilns, to keep the overhead costs low.
The new school opened took place on 22 August 1913 and was celebrated with a concert, supper and dance.
A lean-to shelter was added later, a concrete floor was laid and a rainwater tank erected.
Trees were planted on Arbor Day. Picnics and concerts were the annual highlights and students travelled to Blyth Primary School to sit for their Qualifying Certificate.
The teachers boarded with Mrs Dolly Thomas over a period of eleven years, and later with Mrs Steinhardt and Mrs F Kirchner.
The school closed on 11 November 1925, reopening at the beginning of the 1927 school year.
The teachers were all single women with the exception of the last, Mr Alexander Crabb, who was in charge of the school until it closed on 5 May 1931.
The last students of the school were Veronica and Joseph Kirchner, Linda and Valda Jansen and Gertie Welke.
The school closed on 5 May 1931.
Some students transferred to Harmerville and Blyth Schools and others took correspondence lessons.
There was also a Boucaut School in the north eastern corner of the Hundred of Boucaut.
SOME OF THE FAMILIES WHO ATTENDED BOUCAUT SCHOOL
LIST OF TEACHERS APPOINTED TO BOUCAUT SCHOOL
ETHEL ANDREWS 1898 - 1899
ADELAIDE BULLOCK 1900 - 1902
MISS KEAN 1903 - 1905
MYRTLE TEAR (or STEAR?) 1907 - 1909
OLIVE F NEWTON (LT) 1910 - 1911
CLARA RF COBIAC 1912 - 1913
MISS RENTON 1913
ELLIE FITZSIMMONS 1913
MISS RENTON 1914 - 1917
MR LES J KYTE
DORIS "PEG" DEAN 1927 - 1929
MISS M McARDLE 1930
ALEXANDER CRABB 1931
OPENING OF BOUCAUT SCHOOL
The new Hundred of Boucaut School was officially opened on Friday last, when in the presence of a large gathering Mr CH Coleman performed the opening ceremony.
Addresses were given by members of the Snowtown School Board of Advice and others.
The event was followed by afternoon tea, concert, and dance, each of which was largely attended.
Previous to the opening Arbor Day was celebrated by the scholars.
Hundred of Boucaut School
This community School was opened on the 22 Aug 1913,
built by community on Section 14 owned by James Thomas,
closed 11 Nov 1925,
closed finally 5 May 1931.
Previous building, 15 x 8 feet pug & pine, opened 1897 on Section 11.
“Appointments. . . Provisional Teachers.— Ethel Christina Andrew, hundred Boucaut.”
Advertiser 17 Feb 1898]
“Appointments. . . Provisional Teachers.— Adelaide Bullock, Hundred Boucaut;”
[Evening Journal 16 Mar 1900]
“The new Hundred of Boucaut School was officially opened on Friday last, when in the presence of a large gathering Mr. C. H. Coltman performed the opening ceremony. . .
The event was followed by afternoon tea, concert, and dance. . . Previous to the opening Arbor Day was celebrated by the scholars.”
[Northern Argus 5 Sep 1913]
“The following have been appointed head teachers in the S.A. Education Department . . . A. F. W. Crabb (Hd. of Boucaut).”
[Observer 31 Jul 1930]
Other schools in this area were
Boucaut school 1881-1885 (building moved to Magpie Creek),
Boucaut school 1890-1895,
Condowie North school 1877-1883 &
Condowie Plains school 1884-1895 (both using Condowie Bible Christian chapel),
Condowie South school 1877-1940 (using Condowie Primitive Methodist chapel),
Mallee Corner school 1896-1942 (near Boucaut Wesleyan church),
Bopeep school 1919-1928,
Magpie Creek school1886-1909.